A site in the Fintry housing estate, Dundee, was acquired in 1953, and the foundation stone of the church was laid by Bishop William Andrew Hart on 9 October 1955, with the Prior General of the Servite Order, Fr. Alphonso M. Monta OSM in attendance from Rome. A year later, on Christmas Day, 1956 the first Mass was celebrated for the Fintry parishioners in their own church of Our Lady of Sorrows, which was then officially opened by Bishop Hart on 20 October 1957. The Prior General came once more on 13th September 1958 for his official visitation of the Servite Priory, and he installed the Seven Sorrows of Our Lady, “Via Matris” in the Church in Fintry.